Tuesday, August 9, 2011

grass abstract

Periodically I take my cheap little digital and take photos.  I am not a serious photographer but I see things that I like or appeal to some little part of me.  Often, it mood or color.  While I was still working at the University I snapped a photo of some ornamental grass only to discover that I had totally not focused it and the wind was blowing too fast to take a good picture.  So the other day I was looking through some old files and found it.  It struck me as movement and light and while you cant tell it's grass was beautiful in it's own way.  I really loved the photo which really looks magical to me. 

So I tried to paint something based on it - not identical but from it.  Translating the piece.  Here is painting one.  I'm going to try it in watercolor next time I pull them out.  I'm still working in the acrylic stuff.

I made the painting more horizontal but may try a vertical look next time.  I'm enjoying the work out.  It's been so long since I've done artwork I feel pretty good with it.  I still see potential in the photgraph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment